Frances’ Fun French Curves Fiesta
by Frances Proctor (Angelize)
If creating smooth curves in Xara is a hassle, you’re gonna love the French curve templates Frances (“Angelize”) is offering this month. Just put them on the guide layer (instructions are in the zip file), rotate and scale them to the size you need, and lines you draw on your art layer will be attracted to them. Highly accurate tracings from history, public domain physical French curves, the tradition lives on digitally.
Installing and Using the French Curves in Xara
To use the French Curves for Xara follow these steps:
- After unzipping and saving the folder to your computer open the Designs Gallery (Shift+F10) and click Disc designs and add the French Curves folder to the designs gallery.
- Make sure the rulers are enabled Window > Bars > Rulers or press Ctrl+L
- Activate the Guides layer by dragging a guide line from one of the rulers to your page, you can drag it back again to remove it from the page.
- Select the Guides layer in the Page & Layer Gallery to make it the current layer
- Make sure that Snap to Guides is turned on in the Window menu.
- Drag a French Curve from the Designs Gallery and drop it on your page. It has now become a set of guidelines.
- You can move it around, resize and/or rotate it, and use the shape tool or the pen tool to trace the curves. Be sure to click your drawing layer in the Page & Layer gallery to make it current again!
Be sure to show us your curves in the support thread for this download in the associated XaraXone forum on TalkGraphics.com.
Good Morning Sunshine! that has brought a smile to the faces of print and online subscribers for 14 years. She uses Xara products extensively in her work for her firm, SunWings Graphic Design. She loves to teach and share her love of Art though her YouTube channel, her contributions to The Xara Xone and her work on Xara’s TalkGraphics forum as a moderator. You can drop her a line through her website or better yet stop by the Xara Xone forum on Talkgraphics and chat with Angelize there.(Angelize online), is the co-publisher of the weekly,